Recently, I had some friends over and they were telling me about how they store all of their photos and videos on their computer or phone and don't fifty-fifty make regular local backups to USB disks or external hard drives. This is definitely risky, which is why I consider it essential to keep a fix of all your pictures and videos online in the cloud.

Uploading photos to the cloud has a couple of advantages over storing them all locally:

1. You tin easily share the albums with others

ii. Y'all tin can access the photos and videos at any time and usually on other devices as long as you have an Internet connection

3. Yous have a backup of all your photos in example something happens to your local copy

I always accept a local copy of my pictures and then have several copies stored in the cloud. Depending on what services you currently utilize, the all-time solution may be unlike for different people. In this article, I'll try to comprehend some of the principal ways to store your photos and videos in the deject.

store photos in cloud

Earlier we get into details, I wanted to talk about the source for all these photos and videos. In my case, there are basically three means I take photos:

one. From my smartphone

two. From my digital SLR camera

3. From my digital point-and-shoot camera

Photos and Videos from Smartphones

Storing photos and videos you take from a smartphone in the cloud is pretty directly-forward and there are a lot of options. For Android or iOS devices, you tin employ a diversity of apps or congenital-in features to upload your photos and videos to the cloud, usually automatically.

Apple has iCloud Photograph Library and information technology works adequately well most of the time. I've been using it for several years now and oasis't run into any major issues. All yous have to do is purchase some extra iCloud storage and your media volition exist uploaded automatically once the feature is enabled.

For non-Apple users, there are quite a few options. The most popular choices hither are Google Photos, Dropbox, OneDrive or Flickr. The Google Photos app is my favorite and I use it in addition to purchasing iCloud storage.

If y'all don't utilise Google Photos or Picasa , etc., you tin also employ Dropbox. Dropbox is a service that basically lets you lot easily "drib" files into a bucket that is then available on any device or computer you take Dropbox installed on. And Dropbox has an app for every platform out in that location, including Linux, Blackberry, Kindle Burn down, etc.

Dropbox also has an automated upload characteristic called Photographic camera Upload, which does the exact same affair every bit the Google Photos app. Any picture you accept will be automatically uploaded to your Dropbox business relationship when you open the app. OneDrive also works in the same way.

So these apps can basically have intendance of all your photos from whatever smartphone you own. They piece of work on tablets, smartphones, desktops and on many other devices likewise.

If you install the desktop programme on your Mac or PC, information technology will so automatically sync all those photos and videos to the computer as well, and so y'all have an actress fill-in on your difficult drive just in instance.

There are other apps like Facebook, but it doesn't support automated uploading of photos and videos. However, I exercise upload photos to Facebook all the fourth dimension, but I use Google Photos and Dropbox to store all my photos whereas I upload only a few good ones to Facebook. Facebook is non setup to be used as a backup of all your photos and videos.

Photos and Videos from Digital Cameras

Getting photos from your digital camera to the cloud is a little dissimilar, but not very complicated either. Yous pretty much take all the same options as mentioned above. The merely issue with SLRs is that the files can exist huge, especially for things similar 4K video.

If you lot have a high-speed Internet connexion that isn't metered, and so you can just drop all the files into one of your cloud synced folders and everything will be uploaded. If y'all are in the Apple ecosystem, you will need to utilise the Photos app in Bone Ten to import the media into your iCloud Photograph Library. However, large video files will quickly consume upwards your storage space.

The best option for large RAW images and super high definition video is external or network storage that is fastened locally. I previously wrote about setting up your own cloud storage using a NAS device. With this setup, you don't accept to upload anything, but you lot can access your media from anywhere.

Personally, I have institute that using some of these services in combination works out best. On my phone, I use Google Photos and iCloud Photo Library to upload my photos and videos.

For RAW images and 4K footage from my digital cameras, I normally fill-in to a large external hard drive and backup to my Synology NAS device. Even so, both of these copies are local and I would lose everything if the house burned down. To counter that, I setup an Amazon AWS account and backed up the actually huge files to Amazon Glacier, which is really cheap. I have over 2 TB of information stored in that location and but pay similar $10 a month. It's worth information technology for me.

The other useful feature of a service like Amazon Glacier is that you tin save several terabytes of information onto an external hard drive and ship it to Amazon. They will re-create the information to their server locally, which prevents you from having to upload all that information over your habitation Internet connexion.

Overall, information technology'due south a good idea to store your photos and videos in the deject along with having a local backup copy. If you still are dislocated about something or need whatsoever other help, feel complimentary to mail a comment and I'll try to help. Savor!